OUR BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR STAFF INCLUDE:
- You must be at least 18 and have at least one year of post-high school education and/or work experience.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or obtain a J-1 work visa.
- You must be available to work from at least mid-May through late-August or late-September.
- Please keep in mind that about 75% of our positions require being able to work through late September.
- Two references (at least one professional reference from a supervisor).
- If you are in college or just graduated, please attach a copy of your college transcript (GPA at least 3.0; unofficial copy is acceptable). If you are a first-semester freshman, please submit your high school transcript.
- Evidence of interest in working with and being of service to others.
- Evidence of ability to live in a small community of peers as a positive team member.
- The A Bar A Ranch is a drug-free workplace, and you must be drug-free. We reserve the right to use drug testing.
Monthly salaries vary. Housing, meals, optional 401k, and use of ranch facilities are additional benefits. End-of-season bonuses are distributed in mid-November among the staff who have completed their contracts only.
HIRING TIMELINE for Summer 2024:
- The 2024 application is available on our A Bar A Ranch website starting October 1, 2023.
- We begin reviewing new applications in mid-October. We review only complete applications (including resumes, transcripts, 2 references).
- We offer Zoom and phone interviews starting in early November and continuing until hiring is complete.
- We highly recommend that you submit your application by December 1 to increase your chances of being hired.
- We make decisions/job offers on an ongoing basis until hiring is complete. The majority of our positions are filled by mid-January.
We work as a team, and all staff must be prepared to support all areas of the ranch.
You may request to be considered for more than one position. Please list them on the application in your order of preference.
Before you apply, please make sure that your dates of availability match our 2024 summer employment needs.
2024 SUMMER SEASON EMPLOYMENT DATES:
Applicants must be available from at least mid-May through August 25 (short-season) or the last week in September (full-season). Most of our positions end in late September, and some start earlier in May. Please see “Position Summaries” below for more detailed information.
Certain positions start in mid-May; please indicate on your application the earliest date you can start work as well as the latest date you are available.
Office/Store: Seeking people with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, integrity, and previous office and/or retail experience. In this position, you are in direct contact with every person on the ranch. There are three office assistants who work the front desk and in the ranch gift store.
Shooting Range Instructor/Guest Services (“Ranger”): Seeking people with experience in all areas of gun safety and shooting range management and instruction. These instructors also provide general guest services, including concierge, transportation, maintenance, cleaning, etc.
Cook: Seeking people who are proven to be positive team players, preferably with some previous cooking experience; must have an interest in food preparation/culinary arts and a strong aptitude for learning.
Children’s Counselors/Youth Counselors: Seeking high-energy people who love children, youth/teens, and the outdoors. This is an educational adventure program, and Children’s Counselors must be ready to provide a fun, creative, safe, and active experience.
Wrangler: Seeking people with excellent, proven horsemanship and customer service skills. Guiding and teaching are part of the job, along with horse care and herd and facilities maintenance. Applicants must submit a riding video; please see application for requirements/instructions.
Fishing Guide: Seeking people with excellent interpersonal skills and extensive fly-fishing experience, including knots, guiding others, fly-tying, entomology, and general fisheries knowledge. Fly Fishing guides must submit a fly-fishing video; please see application for requirements/instructions.
Expeditions guide: The Expeditions program hosts smaller groups of guests for personalized experiences based at ranch locations beyond A Bar A headquarters. The Expeditions team includes a chef and guides who serve as wranglers, fly-fishing guides, shooting instructors, hiking guides, and hosts. Expeditions guides must submit a fly-fishing video (see A Bar A website staff pages for instructions) and have previous horseback riding experience (a riding video may be required).
Grounds Crew/Maintenance Crew: Seeking individuals with experience in handyman skills such as carpentry, plumbing, and electrical, as well as landscaping, mowing, fencing, weed control, golf course maintenance, irrigation, and other similar tasks. Members of this crew must be able to work long hours doing physical outdoor labor.
Flower Gardener: The gardener is responsible for planting and maintaining our annual and perennial flowerbeds around the ranch. This person oversees planting new trees and shrubs and their maintenance during the summer, including watering, weeding, pruning, etc. The gardener also assists with guest services and transportation, trail maintenance, general outdoor projects, and other tasks in various departments, as needed.
Cabin Host / Housekeeper: Seeking detail-oriented people to assume responsibility for guest services in cabins, including cleaning all guest facilities, hosting in the bar/lodge and at cookouts, and assisting with other projects as needed (e.g., painting, landscaping, etc.).
Food Service: Seeking people with great customer service skills for all duties involving food service, including waiting tables for both guests and staff, doing dishes, cleaning and set-up, serving cookouts, etc.